woensdag 20 juni 2018

Pop-up Box Card

Hey hey!

My youngest brother is a part-time bee keeper and totally into bee-related things. So I always make him something for his birthday that is.
When I saw the base model for a pop-up box card at easypeasyandfun, I immediately thought I'd adapt it for my own purposes. In this case I re-sized all measurements. If bees are not what you need, it will be easy to change the decoration to get a fun result.

The stamp sets used are A Little Wild with the matching Little Loves Framelits and Jar of Love with the matching Everyday Jars Framelits. The jar lid is from Sharing Sweet Thoughts (retired) because I like the gingham look, but you could use the lid from Jar of Love.

When I had finished the card, I realised it would not fit into our standard C6 envelope, which I had intended, but because I wanted my jar of honey to be well visible, it turned out a little bit too high. That was no problem, I took my Envelope Punch Board and made a perfectly sized envelope. I took a 9" x 9" piece, scored at 4¼".
However, if you do want your pop-up box card to fit, make sure the pop-up doesn't pop up too much. (Try saying that a couple of times in a row.)

For the box you need two pieces of 3" x 6½".
You need a strip of 1¾" x 7½" and another strip of 1" x 6" for the pop-up mechanism.
I stamped on one side of all the pieces of Card Stock because I didn't want the inside to look bare.

To make the box, take the two 3" x 6½" pieces and score.
Cut a slight wedge off the flaps, fold and burnish with your bone folder and glue the box together on one side. The stamped sides are on the inside.














If you want to decorate your box with panels, now is the time you can adhere them easily. My panels are cut " smaller than the panel they will go on.

After adhering the panels, stick down the other flap and form a box that looks like this.
Now it's time for the pop-up mechanism. Take the 1¾" x 7½" strip and first make two score lines, flip the paper and make a score line in the middle. Doing it like this will give neater folds.


Now you can stick one side of the mechanism down to begin with. Make sure you adhere it between what will be the front and back of the box.

Remove the paper backing from the Tear & Tape and stick the mechanism down as shown.

Remove the backing again, hold the mechanism flat and push the box down onto its back. This leaves you with a box that looks like this.
Take the 1" x 6" strip and insert it in the fold. Do not use glue as yet, you want to measure the correct length first.

Fold the box flat and put the embellishment on top of the strip, again no glue as yet. Remove both strip and embellishment, flip over and draw a pencil line where you want to shorten the strip.

Put glue on the back of the strip ( the non-stamped side is the back) and stick it down, into the fold.

Adhere the embellishment to the protruding part of the strip.


For a nice finish, you can stick another embellishment on the back.
When pushed into a box, the embellishment will disappear into it. When pushed flat, the embellishment will pop up.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten